Monday 29 June 2015

Keeping it in the family....

Miss Dunnit as you know, is into CosPlay. Costume Role Play. She goes to conventions and dresses as characters from favourite books, movies and games. It's a right nerdy thing. Until you remind yourself of your own particular 'thing'. And then my cheerful 'every hobby has its nerds' rings true huh, and we're all off the nerdy hook. Although, I think these days, the kids take 'nerd' as a bit of a compliment. What do I know, things were very different back then when I was but a callow youth.
She recently announced the need for a sword and a shield. When he made a sword a couple of years back, Mr Dunnit had the foresight to make two and put one in a safe place in the workshop for just such a demand. Clever huh.
He didn't see the shield coming though! I was a little vexed that he was already ridiculously busy and didn't want him to make a shield in the four hours of a Sunday afternoon that he was having as his weekend break. Nor did Miss Dunnit. I had already suggested she spend some time familiarising herself with some of the hand tools and such; I'm more than sure that she will come across all of our equipment in newer, cleaner, 21st century guises when she starts her prop making course. So she made an effort, got out of bed early (for a Sunday) and joined us in the workshop.
Here she is then, doing what we do. It felt rather nice. Of course, we don't get a lot of demand for shields, but boy, if we did....
She and Mr Dunnit cooked up a way to make a thick, believable looking shield without making it solid timber...the face is click together flooring planks and the depth is created by using a sheet of insulating core, very clever. The silver stuff..I know not what...I know the finished thing had studs round the edge and a proper studded on 'leather' strap so that it sat on her forearm properly. Some of you may recognise the house/family/clan and therefore programme. I don't, and she's not here to ask, so let's just pretend we know.

Of course, by 'keeping it in the family', I merely mean that the three of us were in the same place on the same day and mostly working on the same thing. It's an hour long miracle!

13 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

Oh but aren't they the most memory rewarding moments that you will all look back on from some future point and have a lovely warm glow....

I am still smiling that there was a sneaky sword hidden away waiting for the 'taaa-daaa' moment when it would be called for!!

misteejay said...

Great result from the family endeavour.
We will have to see photos of the complete outfit.
Toni xx

Sue said...

Fab shield. You'll have to get a photo of your daughter when she's all done up in her outfit.

Hope you have a good start to the week. Sue

My name is Cindy said...

I knew I knew of someone who made costumes! Any suggestions from DD as to how I can make a paper mache and card helmet (it actually looks pretty cool) look more like, well, a smooth finish helmet. I was wondering if some kind of filler would work, but also worried it would just fall off. Can you ask DD if she has any suggestions.I'm talking star wars here. Honestly, Aragorn was easier. Haven't even started on the blaster......... Nice bit of bonding been going here this w/e as well LOL


Cindy xx

Helen said...

It's nice of you to bring some tropical heat home with you!! Glad you all got together to work away in the workshop, even if it was on a Sunday!

JoZart Designs said...

How exciting and I really hope we get to see her all togged up and ready to pose at the event. It is lovely, and satisfying too, to actually work together for a project.
Jo x

peggy aplSEEDS said...

Wonderful! My daughter started working with us in the family business and I am soooo delighted!

Unknown said...

From what I understand from my daughter...Miss Johnson..."nerd" is definitely a compliment these days! Your daughter looks so cute in the workshop. How clever of her to find a way to complete the look. I remember Miss Johnson dressing up as a character for many a Harry Potter movie premier. These days she's quite a successful booktuber on YouTube. So I guess nerds rule! Hope you share Miss Dunnit's completed costume. Nothing better than a girl with a sword and shield! (I'm a fan of that show, Vikings, and they called women who fought "sword and sheild girls.")

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh the memories we treasure ! Great to hear it was a fun project for one and all .

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I stopped by early and was surprised when I saw I had missed this post. Any bit of family time makes these moments even more worthwhile, don't they? Priceless and precious.

Eliza said...

It gave me a chuckle to think you had one put away,that's the sort of thing we would do in this house. Love that shield and there is nothing wrong with CosPlay my DD does it too. I do love the fact that some family bonding happened it is always special to see this happening. Thanks for sharing and sorry I am visiting so late, trying to catch up here and there.

Hugs Eliza

Eliza said...

Rohan Lord of the rings so you can be smart lol

Hugs Eliza

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Great job on the shield. I feel there may be much of this in my future. I'll know where to come for advice :-)