Thursday 4 November 2010

A day off in the life....






Watch out, photo heavy and not entirely fascinating, but the strap line of this blog does mention tales of domesticity....
For reasons numerous, I didn't have a workshop to prepare for this week, so I commuted my Thursday off to Wednesday. I did, as promised, have a long chat with myself about the motivation required to get a grip of the putting away part of the card marathon. It's like the post-retreat ennui, you know; unpacking is a terrible bore dahling. But look at the state of it, so I took this photo at 9.52 yesterday. And I got stuck in. I cleared the baskets and put away systematically, and then started the cards....the unused card kits had to be broken down and put away in parts for future use. The cupboard was a mess from being practically emptied in the preparation stages! But by 11.20 I'd finished the breakdown and the putting away and my card cupboard looks better for it, huh! Things were looking up, the floor cleared, baskets emptied and card stock sorted. At twenty past eleven I abandoned the work desk and went upstairs to change. That turned into a quick round of domestic chores before leaving the house. I hung out washing. A day off can't be all glamour, after all. It improved.
By one o,clock I was firmly seated opposite chums for lunch at a pub. Fifi Trixiebelle Le Beau on the left is a friend made through workshops and the Incredible Prepared Woman on the right used to manage the Post Office shop in Salisbury, where I did a few workshops too.
We had a lovely lunch, although Fifi and I were a bit astonished at Incredible Prepared Woman's incredible preparedness - she knew what was for supper and had all the ingredients ready for when she got home.She makes her own pasta. She has mostly got Christmas under control. She had remembered photos to show us her gorgeous and neat as a pin new garden. Me and Fifi..well, what can you do - we ordered pudding.
My afternoon was rounded off with a grand prix around Tesco. I'm not going to show you the photo of my car boot full of shopping - it's the sort of repetitive horror that none of us need but we all go through. So instead, as I have to admit to not quite getting round to the stamp cleaning (sorry Ally!), I'll show you the progress made in the workroom...am loving the floor space again! But I accept - it's only progress!

20 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

I'm impressed! You are superwoman... how did you manage to get so much done including being a lady that lunches and do Tesco???

Annie said...

Well! I'm seriously impressed with the tidying but you neglected the stamp cleaning!!! I can see i am just gonna have to pay you a visit :-)
A x

Helen said...

Well you certainly packed a full day's work into your "day off", lol. I think we should grant you a stay of execution re the stamp cleaning.

Twiglet said...

Ok Wipso lets pack the rubber gloves and get over there - we would have them sparkling in no time!! lol.

TAM said...

Looks like you've made good headway - thats the problem with sorting out etc - it always takes at least twice as long as you anticipate.

Carmen said...

Wow - I'm knackered just reading it! Well done :)

KanataNewf said...

Good for you for making a start at least!

Tracy said...

Wow you packed in a full day.
Love your scrap caddy (I think that is what it is).

Unknown said...

ooh - its like you did two WOYWW - only one was a Thursday and it wasn't strictly your desk... OK - its nothing like!!! It certainly sounds like you whizzed around everywhere though... long time since i did anything so active!!!

Keep up the good work with the craft space - and remember - if you put it away as soon as you have used it = its far easier to keep maintained - all I have to do now is follow my own advice LOL!!!

Nice that you met up and had a 'lady lunch' session!

Paula x x x

misteejay said...

Well done on what you achieved...tidying, HW, and TESCO...wow, Wonder Woman does exist! LOL

Toni :o)

akilli melek said...

bet you feel better for it, lol. the tidy up, not the pudding i mean! good effort. caroline

Nicks said...

ha ha I would order pudding as well!

Janetlynne said...

Wow you have been busy..... Happy WOYWW
Janetlynne

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

I'm impressed by your marathon Julia, tidying, housework, lunch and shopping :-) I do love the nicknames you have for people ;-)
Anne x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, you've made progress. And I love seeing the entire room. Never saw that angle before. It puts the room into perspective.

Linby said...

woot woot - tidying and Tesco - wonderwoman lives!
Linbyx

Lyn said...

Good grief - I am mega impressed t your organisation and not at AAAAALLLL jealous of the sheer amount you managed to pack into your day. I am excusing you because of the sheer stamina of (comparative!) youth, dahling!

HeARTworks said...

My motto is "Yard by yard, cleaning is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch". I seriously go by the inch....painfully slow! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Claire said...

Housework? sssh don't say it too loud or DH might notice I haven't done any, although I do plan on gutting the house whilst I'm off recovering from my operation (a week on Tuesday. I also agree with you, when all else fails, order a big pudding :D
C
xx

Kate said...

I thought incredible prepared woman look familiar in that photo!

** Kate **