Thursday 26 November 2009

Plus ca change, la meme ca change.....





















Alter:



–verb (used with object)
1.
to make different in some particular, as size, style, course, or the like; modify: to alter a coat; to alter a will; to alter course.
2.
to castrate or spay.
–verb (used without object)
3.
to change; become different or modified.


So I'm wrong. You can use 'alter' to describe my little canvas, because I have made it different in style...as in the addition of paint, paper shapes and beads. But you have to admit, that's what my £1 canvas is for. So I'm not, in essence altering its intended purpose: to apply paint and stuff to it. Of course, turning it into a tent would alter it, fairly significantly. But even the definition above suggests some sort of radical change occurs on alteration. As in - alter course, alter a will......that which it was is now something else. In altering, you change the use or meaning. And let's face it, that's not what we do at all. We re-cover notebooks and jazz up the pages, but it's not altering..they are still notebooks. Only slightly less easy to use because you don't want to spoil it now! And that's what I mean when I bore you witless about the 'altering' thing. The addition of paint ink and paper doesn't necessarily alter something. We 'enhance' a lot. As far as I can tell, if it isn't super-glued out of reach, then one crafter or another will have tried to enhance its appearance. Whatever it is.
Now this opinion could easily be explained by lack of imagination when it comes to this sort of thing. It's not that I don't like what the 'alterers' do..my goodness, some of the stuff you see is breathtaking. Perhaps that's what makes me the pedant. I'm no good at it therefore no-one should be able to do it. I would try to alter my opinion, but I'm too old. The title of this post, badly translated: the more things change, the more they stay the same. Leave me to the enhancing then. I need the practice.

11 comments:

Kaz said...

Well I think you have enhanced it beautifully. I love the minimalness of it. Could you use your dictionary to see if that is a word? I 'tart' things myself! xx

Annie said...

Oh you really do make me smile Julia. You are of course right and wrong. :-) You do, beautifully, alter the apprearance of what you work on but you do not alter its use. I think embellish is a better word for it.
Can you please alter our weather? It doens't seem to have stopped raining for days and it's really dark and gloomy here today...not that it has kept my customers away from my door [I've actually lost count but there has been at least 12 call in today!!].
A x

Sam said...

I like that canvas - that design would make a good card too!! I think that enhancing is a better word that altered! Adorning or enriching might work too!

Paige said...

I think "Enhancing" is a much nicer word to use than "Alter" which has always sounded a little harsh if not scary to me :)

Lyn said...

Well you've got me now! I love your little canvas and like the description "embellished". I do struggle with the sort of Altered Art" you see in, say, stamping mags. I look at it in the same way as my friend when I proudly show her my inchies and she just shakes her head and asks "why?"!

Pam said...

Beautifully "enhanced"! Hugs Pam x

Teresa said...

I had to laugh out loud when I read your post Julia, I mean I really did sit here and give a great big belly laugh :)

I really don't mind what the artist who makes a beautiful pice calls it, or what she/he calls the process.

Like yourself, I am a bit of a pedant, I like to use the right words, and sometimes I even know what that word is!

Kaz is right, we are all tarters (another one for the dictionary) at heart :)

Angie said...

Enhance and embelish are perfect words and cover most of the things I see on blogs and in mags but the odd item should also have Altered added ...eg Linda E's bean cans. They are beautiful works of art that will never see a bean again ...instead they will be holders for what ever one sees fit.
I feel you enhanced your canvas ...maybe we should ask Tim H what his definition of Alered Art is because the more I ponder on it all the more confused I get.lol

Kathy said...

Your posts always inspire and entertain. Whatever "altering" actually means, you've dpne a lovely job with this canvas, and it pleased me greatly to see something that made me think of Spring - must be the pretty colours - instead of winter. So thank you for that little ray of sunshine!

mckinkle said...

What an amazing 'Enhancement' Julia, you've certainly altered the canvas in a way far far removed from what my painty hubby does! Its much more girly and attractive and what's more, I imagine there's no paint all over the kitchen sink and splattered all over the walls and floor?! More power to your elbow Julia!

Keryn :D

ally fiddy said...

O thats gorgeous - love it.